The Springmoor Wellness Center Team is an active group of exercisers. Most of them started their fitness lifestyle when they were very young. However, Kris, one of our instructors, was almost 30 years old when she stepped into a life filled with exercise. She is the perfect example that it is NEVER TOO LATE TO START!
Stretch, Lift, Lunge, Walk, Run, BE ACTIVE! With over forty-six classes offered each week, two swimming pools and two exercise equipment rooms: our team can certainly find something to fit your needs. Kari Richie, our Wellness Center Director and her staff will have you moving before you even know you are exercising!
Let’s meet the team: Kari, Kris, Trish and Becky
Where did you grow up?
- Kari: Suburbs of Detroit, Michigan
- Kris: New Jersey
- Trish: Independence, Missouri
- Becky: Small town of Quakertown, Pennsylvania (with 8 siblings!)
What was your first job as a teenager?
- Kari: Target – cashier
- Kris: Grocery store – meat department
- Trish: Missouri State Representative’s office – file clerk
- Becky: Sheet Heart Shoppe – making famous Philly Cheese Steaks and dipping ice cream
How long have you been employed by Springmoor?
- Kari: Seven and half years
- Kris: Five years
- Trish: Almost a year
- Becky: Six years
What do you do on Saturdays?
- Kari: Play with my children!
- Kris: Go to the gym, work around the house and do word puzzles
- Trish: I usually run 3-4 miles by 8:00am and then we spend a few hours on the lawn. We love yard work! Then it’s off to run errands and then out to dinner with my husband or friends!
- Becky: In the summertime – water aerobics. In the wintertime – a long walk or bike ride on the American Tobacco Trail
What is your favorite food?
- Kari: “Bad” food – pizza. “Healthy” food – depends on my mood & the season. Right now it’s a good, juicy watermelon!
- Kris: Fried oysters
- Trish: Mediterranean cuisine
- Becky: Really good CHOCOLATE!
Did you play a sport in high school or college?
- Kari: I was on the high school dance team and coached a dance team while I was in college.
- Kris: No, I did not get into fitness until the early 80’s when “aerobic dance” was all the rage.
- Trish: I ran track in high school. I was also a cheerleader in high school and college so I was cheering for the athletes playing sports!
- Becky: I was the goalie on my college Ice Hockey team
Have you ever run a Marathon, Half Marathon, or participated in the Iron Man?
- Kari: I’ve completed three half marathons and one full marathon! The full marathon started in downtown Detroit. We ran across the bridge into Canada and came back through the tunnels. It was one of the hardest things I’ve done in my life… but very rewarding!!! No Iron Man.
- Kris: No, no and heck no!
- Trish: Yes, I’ve run several marathons and half marathons. My greatest achievement was the Pikes Peak Marathon coined “America’s Ultimate Challenge”!
- Becky: No and never will!!
What’s for dinner tonight?
- Kari: Leftovers from Sassool: roasted vegetables, hummus, Mediterranean chicken salad and orzo pasta salad
- Kris: Pizza and salad
- Trish: Green protein shake
- Becky: Doherty Pub: hamburgers and French fries. I did a water workout before I went home and it always makes me very hungry!
Whose music is found most on your iPod?
- Kari: My two favorites are Ben Rector and Need to Breathe
- Kris: 80’s heavy metal and fitness music
- Trish: It’s mostly fitness music but if I had to choose an artist, Rascal Flatts
- Becky: ADELE!!!!!
If you could go anywhere in the world, where would it be?
- Kari: I’d like to go back to Bruges, Belgium
- Kris: New Zealand
- Trish: I would LOVE to go to Ireland and trace our family tree!
- Becky: ANYWHERE IS EUROPE! Next trip will be Netherlands for a bike and sail tour. I hope!!
What one word describes you best?
- Kari: Easygoing
- Kris: Friendly
- Trish: Enthusiastic
- Becky: LOUD!
What new skill would you like to learn?
- Kari: Rock Climbing!
- Kris: Spanish
- Trish: The piano
- Becky: Pickle Ball
What book are you reading now?
- Kari: Lots and lots of children’s books
- Kris: I am in-between books now
- Trish: Body Ecology by Donna Gates
- Becky: The Day the World Came to Town 9/11 in Gander, Newfoundland
What’s your favorite pizza topping?
- Kari: Either plain ol’ cheese & pepperoni or a specialty white pizza
- Kris: Mushrooms, anchovies, garlic and crushed red pepper
- Trish: Pineapple
- Becky: Mushrooms
Do you sing to the car radio?
- Kari: Yes! And I dance when I’m not driving. My son loves music so we are always singing!
- Kris: I listen to sports talk radio but if there were music on, I would sing to it.
- Trish: I’m always singing in the car
- Becky: Yes, loudly and off key!
Do you have a personal exercise routine daily?
- Kari: Right now I’m completing a 9-week Beachbody Insanity program. I like to do a variety of things: Zumba, running, interval training, anything with music that keeps me from getting bored!
- Kris: Yes, I try to do a mixture of strength training, cycling, swimming and interval training. I believe cross training is the key to preventing injury and boredom.
- Trish: I workout every day. I run twice a week, weight training 3 days, Pilates twice a week, HIIT once a week, cycle twice a week, yoga three times a week.
- Becky: Alternate Bike, Walk, Water Aerobics daily
Do you have a Fitbit? How many steps do you average a day?
- Kari: No, I use a GPS watch when I’m running to track my distance
- Kris: I had one but it was never accurate
- Trish: Yes, I use my Fitbit. I average 15,000-20,000 steps a day
- Becky: Apple Watch—10,000+ Daily
What’s your best advice for making exercise a daily event? What motivates you?
- Kari: Right now I’m motivated to get back into a pair of pants I bought before getting pregnant! The best advice I have is to find a buddy: spouse, friend, or co-worker. You can either exercise together or help keep each other accountable. You have to start somewhere and you don’t have to be perfect. If you mess up with your diet or exercise plan, start again tomorrow!
- Kris: Just get yourself to the gym, or put on your walking shoes and tell yourself you will do just ten minutes. Once you start, you will almost certainly do more.
- Trish: Plan your hour of exercise into your day as part of your schedule and move your feet before you eat!
- Becky: I write it in my daily planner and I stick to it!!
Best thing about Springmoor?
- Kari: The people of course! (And the Wellness Center!)
- Kris: The residents are the best thing, followed closely by the staff, especially the housekeepers. They have a hard job but are always cheerful and helpful.
- Trish: The residents. They are inspiring, genuine and truly kind!
- Becky: The Residents Rock!!!!! So does the staff
Not only do these four workout with the residents every day but we have three more instructors that are here for specialty classes. Sandra teaches Tai Chi, Cathy teaches Yoga and George works on Strength and Balance. Now that you have met the Wellness Center Team – they are looking forward to meeting you. Be prepared to move your feet!