H2O is the Way to Go!
By Kari Richie, Springmoor Health and Fitness Director
This summer the Springmoor Health and Fitness department is teaming up with the dietitians from Sodexo, Springmoor’s food service provider, to encourage exercise and hydration! We will kick off our first Springmoor Triathlon Challenge and encourage healthy hydration at the Pathways Pool Party on Friday, July 11. Residents can enjoy a dip in the pool, a friendly game of water volleyball, and refreshments, delivered poolside!
Pathways Wellness focuses on prevention, which is why we are focusing on preventing dehydration this summer. Dehydration can be a serious problem for older adults and leads to confusion and illness.
A few age-related reasons that can cause dehydration include a decreased sense of thirst, retaining less water in the body and forgetting to drink enough fluids. Through education and encouragement, we hope to see our community drink plenty of water during the hot summer months – especially while exercising!
Six Reasons to Drink Water
- Water helps maintain a healthy body weight by increasing metabolism and regulating appetite.
- Water leads to increased energy levels. The most common cause of daytime fatigue is actually mild dehydration.
- Water can prevent and alleviate headaches.
- Water naturally moisturizes skin helping give you a healthy, glowing appearance.
- Water leads to overall greater health by flushing out wastes and bacteria that can cause disease.
- Drinking water can help reduce joint and/or back pain.
Springmoor Life Care Retirement Community is a continuing care retirement community in beautiful Northwest Raleigh, North Carolina. To find out more about Springmoor, check out our website and find us on Facebook.